Project update — 21 Jan 2021
A number of ASTRABAT partners are part of BEPA, the recently established association working for a more competitive and sustainable battery value chain in the EU
ASTRABAT partners will play a major role in the Batteries European Partnership Association (BEPA). CEA (ASTRABAT coordinator), Umicore and the Fraunhofer Institute for Silicate Research (ISC) have joined the association’s governing board, while other partners are among the BEPA’s industry members (DAIKIN, along with Umicore) and research members (LEITAT and the Warsaw University of Technology, together with CEA and Fraunhofer).
The BEPA is an association bringing together the private members of the Batteries European Partnership. This partnership is an official candidate to Horizon Europe Partnership of which the European Commission is a member on the public side. BEPA’s vision is to establish in Europe the world’s best innovation ecosystem by 2030.
The goal is to boost the Europe battery value chain for stationary applications and e-mobility, turning it into a competitive, sustainable and circular ecosystem for a carbon-neutral society.
BEPA’s key missions will be:
- Advise on battery-related calls for proposals by Horizon Europe;
- Roll out and update the Strategic Research and Innovation Agenda (SRIA) for batteries;
- Support and oversee the portfolio of projects funded under the Partnership Work Programmes;
- Set up and strengthen networks between the battery, RTOs, universities and other organisations, and ensure synergies with other European Partnerships and initiatives;
- Support the development of EU regulations on battery standards, safety, and sustainability.
- Promote and monitor innovation uptake in the market.
“Fraunhofer ISC aims to support the implementation and further development of batteries in Europe – among other things, by helping to shape the battery R&D&I landscape and implementing the recommendations and requests of the community by appropriate project frameworks” says Dr. Henning Lorrmann, Head of Fraunhofer R&D Center Electromobility. “As representative from the research community within BEPA I’ll do my best to consider the requests from academia and, anchored in the Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft, bridging them to the industrial application.”